Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

Re: A new math usenet group

On Dec 7, 7:47 am, David Bernier <david...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> On 12/07/2012 05:18 AM, Michael Press wrote:
>

> > In article <4hq4b8t44ao74jc41fu2pc6okagns3m...@4ax.com>,
> >   quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:

> >> Sure, you can have fun here if you want to -- nothing wrong with
> >> that, but of the non-crank, non-troll sci.math participants (of
> >> which I would estimate that there are currently about 40 regulars
> >> and perhaps 100 or more less regulars), most do not participate
> >> in the mode you describe.

> >> I disagree.
>
> >> Math _is_ done here, and sci.math's free-form, multi-way
> >> discussion format makes the interaction very easy.

> >> Cranks and trolls are no big deal -- they are easily ignored.

> >> sci.math has free speech, so yes, cranks and trolls are part of
> >> the environment, but as I said, it's no big deal -- that stuff
> >> is easily ignored. It's a small price to pay for the luxury of
> >> true free speech.

> >> It exists -- it's called sci.math.

> >> In a democratic environment, you can't have everything go the
> >> way you want.

> >> In the end, the moderated site concept fails precisely because
> >> of the moderation. It would create a barrier to entry, slow
> >> down the interaction, and leave an anti-democratic stigma of
> >> censors and censorship.

> > Exactly.
>
> > How to extend liberty to all
> > while moderating one's own excesses?

> > "But it isn't faaaiiiirr!"
> > Suck it up. Be a man.

> Yes.  In organizations, when the "top dog" dies, there's
> always the "succession" question.
>
> Just imagine (hypothetically) that Linus Torvalds had a
> stroke, became brain-damaged and couldn't act as
> the steward of the Linux kernel.
>
> Who would take over?
>
> With moderated newsgroups, there's also a "succession"
> question when one moderator resigns or his/her term
> of appointment (so many years and months) comed to
> an end.
>
> With sci.math as is, it's very hard to get anyone
> banned or "disciplined" through applying to
> NNTP-service provides, Google-groups or
> MathForum, or the Law.
>
> For those one posters one has no interest in reading,
> there are filters and other methods available
> in Thunderbird and other news clients.
>
> I think sci.math, MathOverflow, arXiv, the
> Journals, math socities (AMS, AMA, SIAM, etc.),
> math departments, ... can all co-exist and
> they provide various degrees of editorial or
> Supervisor control, which is Ok by me.
>
> In the legal world, I'd say the court of public
> opinion and posterity is the court of last resort,
> or something.  For  example, cases of possible
> miscarriage of justice, or the P*ssy Riot women
> in Russia, the youngster who got shot:
> Trayvon Martin imbroglio, as e.g. at:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17682245
>
> David Bernier

evidence-1line.))(((ubc,[{()}]

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]