Topic: Trigonometric area optimization
Replies: 13   Last Post: Dec 20, 2012 3:29 PM

Peter Scales

From: Australia
Registered: 4/3/05
Re: Trigonometric area optimization

> ... I feel I deserve credit for
> taking the time to prove the case for the minimum
> area in the case of a right triangle, since the
> problem relies on that. I would also hope to receive
> at least a little applause for being the first, yes,
> the very first, to claim that the solution to the
> value of m is 3 ...colleagues who have belatedly
> chimed in with a value for m. Of course, better late
> than never, but...well it was a little late, Peter,
> wasn't it?

Hi Peter,

Full credit to you for taking the time to explain it all to Adam Thor. And credit to you for solving the problem.
My initial post was to show Adam how to approach the problem from First Principles.
The 'isosceles triangle is minimum' Theorem is easy to prove. The insight was having it brought to general attention.
The m=3 solution was implicit in my first post. The second post was merely to show how easy the 'Isosceles Theorem' made it to find that solution.
We are grateful for your contributions. Please continue to post, as it means a lot to isolated students needing help. It is not really about competition.
Regards, Peter Scales.