Topic: Democracy - how to achieve it?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Dec 20, 2012 9:03 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Democracy - how to achieve it?

Domenico Rosa posted Dec 17, 2012 5:03 AM:

> GS Chandy, Are you familiar with the Iron Law of
> Oligarchy?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_law_of_oligarchy

I am. It happens to be more a 'wooden rule' than it is an 'iron rule' (though it surely is not cotton wool). Some day, I may write up some thoughts about 'iron rules' Vs, 'wooden rules' (and how one may distinguish between the two).

And the rule (whether iron or wooden) does not detract from my arguments at all, as you'd realize if you took the trouble to work out on any real issues using the processes I recommend. The processes I recommend demand some (very little) learning and some (a fair amount of) 'unlearning'. The learning and unlearning have to be carried out in tandem. Most of us who have 'mastered' the conventional ways of looking at things find the needed unlearning rather difficult to do.

GSC