Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Dr J R Stockton

Re: Simple random number generator?

In sci.math message <rubrum-0653B8.15431416122012@news.albasani.net>,
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:43:20, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> posted:

>In article <slrnkcsl5f.3ro.hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu>,
> Herman Rubin <hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 2012-12-15, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> wrote:

>> > From what does the unpredictability of radioactive decay arise?
>>
>> From the assumption that the atoms decay in a random manner. This
>> gives unpredictability. The other quantum assumptions say that
>> the decays of the various atoms are independent, and that the
>> decay is at an exponential rate.

I think the last bit is a consequence in agreement with observation,
rather than an assumption. Ask me long enough ago, and I could in
principle raise the matter with PAMD himself.

>> The msin assumption in this is that the probability that an
>> atom which has not decayed by time T will still have a probability
>> of decay between T and U which is independent of anything which has
>> happened before time T, and only depends on U-T.

>I am asking for the basis of the unpredictability
>in physical theory. Assuming it is random is to
>beg the question.
>
>I hold that the wave theory of matter does not
>predict random occurrences.

Little can be done about ignorance of such profundity. You reject the
mainstream physics of the last 85 years or thereabouts.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London. Mail ?.?.Stockton@physics.org
Web <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.