Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Dr J R Stockton

Re: Simple random number generator?

In sci.math message <rubrum-0653B8.15431416122012@news.albasani.net>,
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:43:20, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> posted:

>In article <slrnkcsl5f.3ro.hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu>,
> Herman Rubin <hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote:

>> On 2012-12-15, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> wrote:

>> > From what does the unpredictability of radioactive decay arise?
>> From the assumption that the atoms decay in a random manner. This
>> gives unpredictability. The other quantum assumptions say that
>> the decays of the various atoms are independent, and that the
>> decay is at an exponential rate.

I think the last bit is a consequence in agreement with observation,
rather than an assumption. Ask me long enough ago, and I could in
principle raise the matter with PAMD himself.

>> The msin assumption in this is that the probability that an
>> atom which has not decayed by time T will still have a probability
>> of decay between T and U which is independent of anything which has
>> happened before time T, and only depends on U-T.

>I am asking for the basis of the unpredictability
>in physical theory. Assuming it is random is to
>beg the question.
>I hold that the wave theory of matter does not
>predict random occurrences.

Little can be done about ignorance of such profundity. You reject the
mainstream physics of the last 85 years or thereabouts.

(c) John Stockton, near London. Mail ?.?.Stockton@physics.org
Web <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.