Topic: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Replies: 90   Last Post: Dec 27, 2012 1:36 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?

Responding to Jeff Bishop's of Dec 17, 2012 8:06 AM (copy of his post pasted below my signature for ready reference):

With reference to your agreement with all of your dad's points, see my post at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2421089 .

I find most interesting your perception that "restrictions on nuclear weapons are not infringements". It's quite as amusing as your agreement with all of your dad's points, which in any case bore little if any connection with the issues at hand.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")
Jeff Bishop posted Dec 17, 2012 8:06 AM:
> [...]

> > shotguns do fall into that category although far
> less clear-cut. I assume
> > they have been challenged and allowed but I am no
> source of such detail.
> > What is clear is that small arms, including scary
> looking look-alikes of
> > military weapons are legal. There is precedent for
> amendments that repeal
> > earlier amendments so feel free to initiate such an
> effort. My guess is
> > that your success will be equally likely as your
> system-less system for
> > revising public education in the US but feel free
> to try.
> >
> > Given the availability of firearms in our society,

> how different might
> > have been the reduction of level of this tragedy
> had that unfortunate
> > principal had in her possession and been trained to
> use one of her own?
> > Although seldom reported, the factor of crimes that
> are commenced but not
> > consummated because the presence of firearms but
> never reported over gun
> > related crimes is huge. As recommended reading you
> might try *More Guns,
> > Less Crime* by John Lott for a data-based
> perspective on the issue.
> >
> > Paul Tanner's model country is Norway with total

> population less than half
> > that of my LA Basin,. Try a little arithmetic
> extrapolating from the 76
> > deaths from the dual tragedies last year where none
> of the citizens -
> > especially a few people in charge on that island -
> to the population of the
> > US and see if a gun-free society is inherently more
> secure even in a
> > country without our large and, in some portions of
> it, violence prone
> > inner-city ghettos.
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > At 09:21 AM 12/16/2012, GS Chandy wrote:
> >
> > Further my post dated Dec 16, 2012 7:12 AM:
> >
> > "Authorities have released the names of the victims

> in the Connecticut
> > school shootings". Here's a link to a news story
> proving a link to the
> > names of both children and teachers:
> >

> http://news.msn.com/us/names-of-victims-in-connecticu
> t-shooting-released.

> > It may be worth highlighting the names of two of

> the victims:
> > - -- Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female (age 27)
> > Victoria Soto, a teacher for Grade I at the school,

> died (according to the
> > newsreports I've seen) because she put herself in
> the way of the gunman's
> > bullets to protect the children in her charge.
> >
> > - -- Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female (age 47)
> > Dawn Hochsprung was the Principal of the Sandy Hook

> Elementary School.
> > She was, according to the newsreports I've seen, an
> outstandingly good
> > teacher and administrator, truly beloved by her
> wards and thejr parents.
> >
> > I wonder if they also happened to be members of

Date Subject Author
12/16/12
Read Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Wayne Bishop
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Jeff Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Greg Goodknight
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Wayne Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Jeff Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Louis Talman
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
casestudy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/17/12
[...]
Paul A. Tanner III
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Greg Goodknight
12/19/12
[...]
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/21/12
[...]
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/24/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/25/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Haim
12/24/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/25/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/27/12