Topic: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Replies: 90   Last Post: Dec 27, 2012 1:36 PM

kirby urner

Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
att1.html (4.6 K)

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

,<< SNIP >>

> Restaurants reserve the right to refuse service to anyone (so says the
> sign).
>
> "No shirt, no shoes, no service" is common.
>
> So what about "Got a gun? Keep out. Private Property."
>
> Can you post that on a hotel or restaurant door? There seems to be some
> consensus, among USA citizens at least, that such signs may be safely
> (legally) ignored, at least in states that permit open or concealed
> carrying.
>
> http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-276747.html

Another case in point: Disneyland has a policy of no guns:

Weapons of any kind (including guns, knives, billy clubs, brass knuckles,
nunchucks, stars and other martial arts equipment)

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/?name=ThemeParksFAQPage

But then you'll find websites were adults boast of taking their guns into
Disneyland:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/where-can-t-i-carry/1093-can-i-carry-disneyland.html

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/experiences-stories-while-carrying/10921-carried-my-first-time-disneyland.html

This tension provides a deep window into the American psyche, because lip
service to private property and the rights of private property holders, and
lip service to the right to carry weapons, are almost on a par.

So if a private property owner wants to ban guns on his or her property,
but the larger state in which the property exists, allows carrying with a
permit, then do civil rights trump private property owner rights?

Do companies like General Dynamics and Pepsico need to stand down and let
their employees do as the state permits on public lands?

Is Corporate America aligned with the NRA on this issue?

What is the NRA position on respecting Disney's private ownership rights?
Do they encourage their members to flaunt company codes?

One could argue that refusing to serve or allow admittance to those
carrying weapons is akin to discriminating against a minority.

But then what about the minority who wear no shoes and no shirts? Have
restaurants no right to turn them away? To refuse service?

If they do, then why not those carrying guns?

Surely having a gun and not having shoes are both matters for the same code
of conduct to cover.

True, the state doesn't mandate one must wear shoes at all times, but does
that make it OK to go barefoot into a restaurant that has a posted dress
code?

Some restaurants require a coat and tie (for guys) let alone shoes.

I think gun owners sneaking firearms into Disneyland are thumbing their
nose at private property rights.

That lets me know their property rights are in jeopardy as well.

Maybe I think their car would look prettier with a nice long scratch along
the side? If they have the right to change the content of Disneyland (not
their property), then I think I might have the right to mess with their
paint job by the same reasoning.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
12/16/12
Read Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Wayne Bishop
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Jeff Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Greg Goodknight
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Wayne Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Jeff Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Louis Talman
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
casestudy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/17/12
[...]
Paul A. Tanner III
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Greg Goodknight
12/19/12
[...]
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/21/12
[...]
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/24/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/25/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Haim
12/24/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/25/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/27/12