Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Phil Carmody

Re: Simple random number generator?

Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> writes:
> In article
> <0.ef56b5652decd19bb478.20121128013501GMT.87k3t6v7ay.fsf@bsb.me.uk>,
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>

> > Good quality, hardware-generated random number sequences (if our current
> > understanding of quantum effects is correct) are random in a different
> > way to the digits of pi. It helps if the terminology is be able to
> > distinguish between them.

> I do not see how quantum effects can be used to generate
> random sequences. Coherent systems are stable and highly,
> if not perfectly, predictable.
>
> Hardware generated random sequences usually read Schottky
> noise off some device (a sound card in a computer) and use
> that. This can be modeled using entirely classical physics.

Are you sure? Shottky noise is white noise, and thus is
indistinguishable from thermal (Johnson-Nyquist) noise.
So you can statistically model it the same way, but that
doesn't mean it's actually caused by classical mechanics.
I can't find any references to Shottky noise that don't
mention some quantum effect.

Phil
--
I'm not saying that google groups censors my posts, but there's a strong link
between me saying "google groups sucks" in articles, and them disappearing.

Oh - I guess I might be saying that google groups censors my posts.