Topic: Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers > a MACS
syllabus

Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 20, 2012 12:35 AM

Clyde Greeno

Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers > a MACS syllabus

Bob:
Nothing at all foolish about you and your competition peers focusing on some
special corner of mankind's mathematical mountain. Enjoy! Today, all
professional research mathematicians do likewise. The mountain already is
far too big for any one to own it all.

The difference is that mathematical researchers are well aware that there is
much more to the elephant than can be perceived through knowledge only of
its trunk ... and most are well aware that it all consists of an art of
theoristic learning, and the products, thereof.

Professional mathematicians don't normally fiddle with trivial "proofs" of
the kind seen on mathteach. But do you really think that you are ready for
serious mathematical proofs in areas that you have never encountered (e.g.
topological lattice theory or differential geometry)? ... or (if you prefer
to focus on curricular mathematics) even a proof that that every line of
rational numbers has a density of infinitesimal holes? ... or that every
fully complete dictionary is a continuum?

Please enjoy, without feeling foolish, your special interests in whatever
corner of mathematics you choose. But if you think that ALL of "mathematics"
is in that corner, your meaning of the word is far more specialized than
what is meant by the world's creators of mankind's mathematical theories.

Cordially,
Clyde