Topic: Terrible unit trouble in Mathematic 9
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 19, 2012 4:56 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Terrible unit trouble in Mathematic 9

Using "unit discovery" via WolframAlpha integration, if you need to, in Mathematica 9:

UnitConvert[Quantity[55, "Miles"/"Hours"],"Kilometers"/"Seconds"]

InputForm of the output is

Quantity[484/19685, "Kilometers"/"Seconds"]

but the output of the UnitConvert function displays (more or less) as:

484
----- km/s
19685

Of course, make the input approximate real, or apply N to the result to obtain a decimal answer.

On Dec 18, 2012, at 2:39 AM, tio540s1@gmail.com wrote:

> I continue to receive "Unable to interpret unit specification m/s" (for example, but almost anything I attempt returns this message) with input:
> UnitConvert[55 mi/h,"m/s"] or UnitConvert[55 mi/h,m/s] or any other combination of quotes, omitted quotes, etc. Even the prediction/suggestion box, when I execute Quantity[55,"mi/hour"}, after it returns 55 mi/h, if I type in any combination of m/s, "m"/"s", "m/s", etc. into the box that opens when I select "Convert" in the prediction box yields the same "unable to interpret unit specification.
>
> What the heck????

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305