The Math Forum

Topic: UNCOUNTABILITY
Replies: 59   Last Post: Dec 24, 2012 2:06 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: UNCOUNTABILITY

On Dec 20, 7:11 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some people are trying to prove from definability that only countably
> many sets can exist. The idea is that a set is an object extension of
> a predicate that is definable after a parameter free finite formula,
> and since we have countably many such formulas and since under
> Extensionality each parameter free formula can define only ONE set,
> then there is One-One correspondence between sets and their defining
> formulas and accordingly we can only have countably many sets.
>
> In symbols:
>
> X is a parameter free definable set <-> [Exist Phi. for all y. y in X
> <-> Phi(y)]
>
> where Phi(y) is a formula having y as the sole free variable.
>
> Now is the above rationale correct?
>
> The answer is NO!
>
> If one insists that EVERY set must be parameter free definable, then
> we will end up having UNCOUNTABLY many parameter free definable sets!
>
> Proof:
> Lets assume we have countably may parameter free definable sets.
> Then the set of all parameter free definable reals must be countable.
> Accordingly there exist a bijection between the set N of all naturals
> and the set R* of all parameter free definable reals.
> Now since EVERY set is parameter free definable, then this bijection
> is definable!
> By The diagonal argument of Cantor, then the diagonal defined after
> that bijection would be PARAMETER FREE definable real that is NOT in
> the set of ALL parameter free definable reals. A CONTRADICTION!

Pardon my French this is UTTER FNG DRIVEL

The SETS are 1-TO-1 with some PREDICATE.

A *F_I_N_I_T_E* sentence in Predicate Calculus.

|N| = |GODEL NUMBERS|
|GODEL NUMBERS| = |FUNCTIONS|
|FUNCTIONS| = |CHOICE FUNCTIONS|
|CHOICE FUNCTIONS| = |SETS|
|SETS| > |N|

YOU ARE ALL FOXES IN HEADLIGHTS DUMB!

SPOT THE CONTRADICTION!

Herc

Date Subject Author
12/19/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
george
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Barb Knox
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/12
Read Re: COUNTABILITY of a set requires N to surject to it
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de