Topic: Democracy - how to achieve it?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Dec 20, 2012 9:03 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Democracy - how to achieve it?

Kirby Urner posted Dec 18, 2012 7:57 AM (GSC's remarks at end):
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kirby urner
> > <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > << SNIP >>
> >

> Background:
>
> Democracy for those currently not organized into
> nation-states of any
> kind = an opportunity for experimentation and mutual
> assistance. The
> legacy of Occupy (e.g. Occupy Portland) is a focus on
> camp dynamics and
> self-organizing small-to-medium sized communities.
> How do we provide
> democracy at the village scale? Mega-states need not
> be the exclusive
> focus. Start with the campus. Start with the
> school.
>
> Kirby
>
> ... Start with the campus. Start with the school.

I'd suggest we should think of starting at even 'lesser' levels. Start, for instance, with the way just two people interact with each other.

Go even further down. Start with the way just one person interacts with the many voices within his/her own mind. (I suggest those voices derive from his/her interactions with the world around. [It demands some mind training of a 'different sort' to do as here suggested]).

When the individual learns how to be democratic with respect to the voices in his/her own mind, he/she should be better able to interact democratically with another person (who has also thus developed).

When two people learn how to be democratic with each other, it should become possible to encourage more people to join in the learning process.

The tools described in the attachments to my message at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 are useful practical means for anyone to enter into such a development process.

GSC