The Math Forum

Topic: UNCOUNTABILITY
Replies: 59   Last Post: Dec 24, 2012 2:06 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: UNCOUNTABILITY

On 21 Dez., 17:36, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2:04 pm, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>

> > And they are not definable with parameters either.
>
> Do you mean that the bijection between the set of all naturals and the
> set of all finite words is NOT definable at all, whether with or
> without parameters?

No, this bijection has obviously been defined. What is no definable is
a set with uncountably many elements, or, better: What is not
definable are uncountably many elements. (The set is definable, yet
not exististing free of contradictions.)

Note finally: Every Cantor diagonal r differs from any other real
number by a finite initial segment n(r) of its string of digits. That
is not possible with the Binary Tree. A diagonal does not differ from
all finite paths, i.e., for every initial segment n(r) of every real
number r there exists a finite path of the Binary Tree that is n(r).
You may consider actual infinity as well as uncountable languages, but
that does not change the fact that Cantor's argument does not apply.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
12/19/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
george
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Barb Knox
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/20/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Graham Cooper
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/24/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/23/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
William Hughes
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
Zaljohar@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/12
Read Re: COUNTABILITY of a set requires N to surject to it
Virgil
12/22/12
Read Re: UNCOUNTABILITY
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de