Topic: nominal scale - comparison of populations
Replies: 3   Last Post: Dec 30, 2012 4:14 PM

Ray Koopman

Re: nominal scale - comparison of populations

On Dec 23, 1:42 pm, czytaczg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using a short questionnaire I have interviewed two populations. For majority of questions the answers are of the nominal type only (there are more than two possible answers which are self excluding and complete). Now, I would like to check if these populations are/are not the same with respect to the frequencies given to answers. Therefore, the every possible answer was coded as a distinct integer number. This gives me a probability distribution. Can I use statistical tests to compare these distributions? If yes - would be the outcome of a test robust to the way in which the numbers are adjusted?
>
> Best,
> Gruppo

To compare the groups on a single question, do a Pearson chi-square on
the corresponding 2 x K contingency table, where K = the # of possible
answers to that question. If you do that for several questions, you
should adjust your threshhold for declaring a result "significant".
The simplest procedure is the so-called "Bonferroni correction": a
test is significant only if the product of its p-value times the
number of tests is less than the usual threshhold (e.g., .05).