Topic: Education in The Atlantic
Replies: 3   Last Post: Dec 24, 2012 10:52 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Education in The Atlantic

Thank you Professor Bishop, for pointing us to those useful articles in the Atlantic. I have read them in some detail (though I've not yet studied them as I plan to do). They are fascinating, indeed, for several reasons (a couple of which I explain below).

I observe that there is nothing in those articles that would lead one to advocate either to:

"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"

or to:

"BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"
(which have been the Haim-Bishop theses more or less forever).
[This is not by any means to claim that everything done
[by those whom Haim has incorrectly lumped together as the 'Education Mafia' and by Professor Bishop's 'schools of education' that he wishes to blow up] is all OK and tickety-boo for the progress of US education].

I observe further that much (not all) of the approach of David Coleman (as described in the article at >http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/10/the-schoolmaster/309091/
>Goldstein )
is considerably (not entirely) in agreement with what develops out of the 'One Page Management System', (OPMS), about which I have posted quite often at this forum. It is interesting to note that Professor Bishop (along with Haim and Robert Hansen) have had nothing but sneers to describe the OPMS over the past several years. For those interested to refer, there is some background information about OPMS provided as attachments to my post at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 .

I quote from the article on David Coleman:
>For Coleman, the problem lies not just in what kids are reading, but in how they're taught to think about it.

The OPMS precisely enables people to think about WHY they think (or do) anything - and also about HOW they should think (or or go about doing) it.

More from that article:
>Coleman was a lead architect of the Common Core standards, which emphasize canonical literature - think Shakespeare, Toni Morrison, Pablo Neruda - and serious nonfiction texts across all subjects, from math (Euclid?s Elements), to science (medical articles by The New Yorker's Atul Gawande), to social studies (the Declaration of Sentiments from the feminist Seneca Falls Convention of 1848). He has spent the past year traveling from state to state, showing English teachers how to lead a close reading of great literature.

Now, I don't know much about the "Common Core standards" (nor do I much care about them) - as they are specific to US education. However, I do observe that Haim recently claimed (at another thread) that no teacher nowadays taught or cared about Shakespeare (words to that effect).

Demonstrates, I think, just what Professor Bishop's and Haim's strident opinions are worth.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")
The text of Wayne Bishop's message is pasted for easy reference below:
Wayne Bishop posted Dec 23, 2012 11:12 AM:
>The Atlantic Monthly for October has a very interesting group of education articles entitled "Here's What's Working". I have included a couple of representative excerpts but, generally speaking, they make good sense. It does not mention by name "constructivism" but the idea is there; it does not work. In summary, conduct real school and actually teach. Horribly old-fashioned, I know, but it still is the open- faced "secret".

> http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/10/the-writing-revolution/309090/ Tyre
> http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/10/why-kids-should-grade-teachers/309088/ Ripley
>"Teachers had thought it most important to care about kids, but what mattered more was having control over the classroom and making it a challenging place."

>"Of the 36 items included in the Gates Foundation study, the five that most correlated with student learning were very straightforward:
>1. Students in this class treat the teacher with respect.
>2. My classmates behave the way my teacher wants them to.
>3. Our class stays busy and doesn?t waste time.
>4. In this class, we learn a lot almost every day.
>5. In this class, we learn to correct our mistake"

>http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/10/the-homeschool-diaries/309089/ Elie
>http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/10/the-schoolmaster/309091/ Goldstein
>http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/10/a-national-report-card/309087/ Allen

Message was edited by: GS Chandy