Topic: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Replies: 27   Last Post: Dec 28, 2012 9:45 PM

Virgil

Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N

In article
<f9fb82de-a071-42f1-b393-a3e689c24469@c16g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
Butch Malahide <fred.galvin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 25, 12:48 am, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> >
> > The standard definition of probability requires that the sum of the
> > probabilities over ANY set of sets making up a partition of the space be
> > equal to one.

> How does that work out in the case of the partition of the space into
> its one-element subsets?

If the space is N, it doesn't, which is teh point I was trying to bring
to your attention.

> Are you saying that the standard definition
> requires every probability distribution to be discrete?

Not at all! Finite spaces cause no problems and for a space of
uncountable cardinality, one can have the probability of every countable
set equal to zero and still have meaningful probability. It is only
spaces of countable cardinality that cause this sort of trouble if one
wishes sets of equal cardinality all to have the same probability.
--

Date Subject Author
12/20/12
12/21/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Bill Taylor
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Porky Pig Jr
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/24/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
FredJeffries@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
David Bernier
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/24/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
FredJeffries@gmail.com
12/24/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/26/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
gus gassmann
12/26/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/27/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/27/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/25/12