Topic: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Replies: 90   Last Post: Dec 27, 2012 1:36 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?

Haim with great joy posted Dec 24, 2012 2:59 AM:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012
> /12/18/gang-rape-of-a-girl-inside-a-bus-in-new-delhi-r
> aises-outrage-in-india/
>
> Gang rape of a woman on a bus in New Delhi raises
> outrage in India
> Posted by Rama Lakshmi on December 18, 2012 at 11:00
> am
>

> >While Swaraj advocated death penalty for rapists,
> >Abhijeet Singh, leader of India?s nascent gun rights

> >lobby said that the rape incident demonstrates the
> need
> >for easing the government?s strict norms for
> obtaining
> >gun licenses. ?There is talk of pepper sprays and
> >martial arts as self-defense for women, but none of

> this
> >is really effective,? Singh, who heads Indians For
> Guns
> >said. ?If the woman had a gun, this was preventable.
> We
> >need to get rid of our victim mindset.?
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

Even 'gun-lovers' like Senator Joe Manchin have apparently changed their minds on gun-control issues - see, for instance http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/12/nra-joe-manchin-gun-control-everything-has-be-table,
a report kindly brought to our notice by Mike Goldenberg.

We should observe that Haim has apparently NOT changed his mind despite what happened in Newtown. Is he planning to wait till someone shoots down 50 or 100 children instead of 'just 20' as happened there???

I am happy to confirm that India's "nascent gun lobby" stands NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER of getting their poison circulating in India. I agree that we may rightly be judged to be extremely foolish in a great many ways, but on this matter there is NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER that we will have a 'permissive gun culture' here. This will not happen today, tomorrow - or in the near or distant future.

While things are as they are today in the USA, Mr Abhijit Singh (leader of "India's nascent gun lobby" according to the news item that Haim has taken so much pains to dig out for us) may like to migrate to what he considers to be the 'land of the free, home of the brave'.

I am sure Haim would welcome him with open arms? Birds of a feather, after all, are likely to flock together.

But Mr Singh should do it most urgently indeed (while tht culture till lives in the USA)! Because, I believe that the US would quite soon move to transform the uncivilized 'gun culture' that rules there today.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and with the observation that all such tedium is easily avoided by the simple expedient of ignoring any posts purported to have originated from GSC)

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
12/16/12
Read Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Wayne Bishop
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Jeff Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Greg Goodknight
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Wayne Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Jeff Bishop
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/16/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Louis Talman
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
casestudy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/17/12
[...]
Paul A. Tanner III
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/17/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/18/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Greg Goodknight
12/19/12
[...]
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/20/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/21/12
[...]
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Gary Tupper
12/22/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/24/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Robert Hansen
12/25/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/23/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
Haim
12/24/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/25/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?
kirby urner
12/26/12
Read Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social
engineering'?
GS Chandy
12/27/12