Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Wally W.

Re: Simple random number generator?

On 25 Dec 2012 20:14:27 +0200, Phil Carmody wrote:

>Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> writes:
>> In article <87licvisn2.fsf@bazspaz.fatphil.org>,
>> Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Are you sure? Shottky noise is white noise, and thus is
>> > indistinguishable from thermal (Johnson-Nyquist) noise.
>> > So you can statistically model it the same way, but that
>> > doesn't mean it's actually caused by classical mechanics.
>> > I can't find any references to Shottky noise that don't
>> > mention some quantum effect.

>> _What_ quantum effect?

>Things like photons at discrete energy levels. Or electrons
>jumping between discrete energy levels.

Why are jumps between discrete energy levels necessarily random?

Why can they not be deterministic and chaotic based on more parameters
than we are tracking?

If radioactive decay is random, how are we able to govern the rate of
decay in a reactor?

We are not similarly able to affect the outcome when flipping 1000
coins simultaneously and nondeterministically.