Topic: log normal?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 6:17 AM

David Jones

Re: log normal?

"RichD" wrote in message

Ocasionally I come across somethign called log
normal, and I wonder, what is the purpose?
The normal distribution is natural, but the log of that,
seems unnatural, and unintuitive.

Can anyone elaborate on its use?

It is not "log of that", it is the "exponential of that" ... that is, a
lognormal rv is the exponential of a normal rv.

If an observation has a lognormal distribution, the logarithm of the
observation has a normal distribution.