Topic: log normal?
Replies: 14   Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 6:17 AM

David Jones

Re: log normal?

"RichD" wrote in message

Ocasionally I come across somethign called log
normal, and I wonder, what is the purpose?
The normal distribution is natural, but the log of that,
seems unnatural, and unintuitive.

Can anyone elaborate on its use?

--
Rich

It is not "log of that", it is the "exponential of that" ... that is, a
lognormal rv is the exponential of a normal rv.

If an observation has a lognormal distribution, the logarithm of the
observation has a normal distribution.