Topic: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Replies: 25   Last Post: Dec 28, 2012 10:48 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Paul A. Tanner, III Posted: Dec 26, 2012 12:59 AM
>>
>>> Paul, do you have any actual information about who is
>>> and who is not allowed to take the test for admission
>>> into the gifted programs in the NYC public elementary
>>> schools?

>>> I didn't think so.
>
>>And you have this information?
>>No?

> Yes.

No, you don't.

It was all smoke and mirrors.

Fact: The admission is, according to the original article, based on one and only one thing - those 90th and 97th percentiles in question. It is therefore as I said before: The mathematics of the situation is absolute - it is mathematically inescapable that if more people are scoring above the given percentiles, which is the case, then there are more people taking the test (the top x% of y is greater than the top x% of z, given y > z), which speaks to the question of who is allowed to take the test, which speaks to the question of parental pressure in that they will throw a fit if their kid is not allowed to take that test.

Fact: You refuse to say how you would do things instead of doing what they do now, letting the test decide who gets admitted, while letting more and more kids take the test. And assuming that you would shut out tons of kids from taking the test, how would you handle the inevitable howls of protest from all those parents whose kids would be shut out from taking the test? (It would be part of your job if you ran things not as dictator but as an elected official - recall that this all falls on the elected school boards of the districts, who actually can do anything they want while they still hold power until the next election.)

Date Subject Author
12/20/12
Read A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/21/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/22/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
GS Chandy
12/22/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/22/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A
Bar
Wayne Bishop
12/23/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/23/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Robert Hansen
12/25/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/23/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/24/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/25/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/26/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/25/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
GS Chandy
12/25/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/26/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A
Bar
Wayne Bishop
12/25/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
GS Chandy
12/26/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/27/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Paul A. Tanner III
12/27/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
GS Chandy
12/27/12
Read Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Haim
12/28/12