Topic: log normal?
Replies: 14   Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 6:17 AM

Pavel314

Re: log normal?

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:00:07 AM UTC-5, RichD wrote:
> Ocasionally I come across somethign called log
>
> normal, and I wonder, what is the purpose?
>
> The normal distribution is natural, but the log of that,
>
> seems unnatural, and unintuitive.
>

> Can anyone elaborate on its use?
>

> --
>
> Rich

We frequently do analyses on the length of stay of certain groups of hospital patients. When graphed, they usually come out as a "log normal distribution"; do a google image search on that term and you'll see what it looks like. When we take the logs of the values, the distribution becomes a more normal distribution, allowing the standard statistical tests.

Paul