Topic: Countably Infinite Sets
Replies: 11   Last Post: Dec 28, 2012 9:08 PM

Butch Malahide

Re: Countably Infinite Sets

On Dec 27, 9:08 pm, Butch Malahide <fred.gal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 8:43 pm, netzweltler <reinhard_fisc...@arcor.de> wrote:
>

> > Does the set {{1}, {1,2}, {1,2,3}, ...} contain all natural numbers?
>
> No, because it does not contain the natural number 1; if it did, then
> 1 would be an element of itself, contradiction the axiom of regularity.

Sorry for the typo; I meant, contradictiNG the axiom of regularity.

By the way, I wonder if you meant to ask:
Does the set {0}, {0,1}, {0,1,2}, ...} contain all natural numbers?
It does, if you identify natural numbers with the corresponding Von
Neumann ordinals.

On another note, the set
N union {{1}, {1,2}, {1,2,3}} = {{1}, {1,2}, {1,2,3}, 1, 2, 3, 4,
5, ...}
also contains every natural number.