Topic: Mathematica via X11 ?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Dec 28, 2012 5:32 AM

János Löbb

Re: Mathematica via X11 ?

Ulrich,

That is it.

Thanks a lot,

J=E1nos

On Dec 27, 2012, at 6:46 AM, Ulrich Arndt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ssh -X user@myserver
>
> and calling
>
> /usr/local/bin/mathematica
>
> worked for me
>
> (Laptop Mac Air and Linux remote)
>
> Ulrich
>

> Am 27.12.2012 um 11:03 schrieb J=E1nos L=F6bb:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> It may be a FAQ, in that case please point me to it.
>>
>> After some fight over the kitchen money, I purchased the Mathematica

9 Home Edition for Linux. I installed Mathematica on the machine having
CentOs 6.3 into the /opt/math9 directory. Punching in the Activation
key, activated the program and I could run my Benchmark[].

>> However this machine is a rack mounted server and in a few days it

will go down to the basement and will not have a monitor attached to it.
So I looked if I can fire up Mathematica via X11 from my MacBook Pro.
I connected to the server and issued 'xclock'. Xclock showed up. So
far so good. Then I issued:

>> [root@sm1 math9]# /opt/bin/math
>> Mathematica 9.0 for Linux x86 (64-bit)
>> Copyright 1988-2012 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>
>> Mathematica cannot find a valid password.
>>
>> For automatic Web Activation enter your activation key
>> (enter return to skip Web Activation):
>>
>> You will need to get a password from your
>> license certificate or from Wolfram Research
>> (http://register.wolfram.com).
>> Machine name: sm1.infocean.org
>> MathID: xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
>>
>> You will need a valid activation key and password in order
>> to proceed. Go to http://user.wolfram.com to
>> register your activation key and obtain the password.
>>
>> Enter your Activation key [format xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx]: xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx
>>
>> Enter your password: yyyyyyyyyyyy
>>
>> The password you entered is not valid.
>> Please press Enter to quit.
>>

>> So, three questions:
>>
>> 1. Why do I need to web activate if I already activated it with the

activation key supplied when I purchased the program ?

>> 2. What configuration changes are needed to be able to use it via

X11 from my MacBook Pro ?

>> 3. If X11 is a no go, then what is the right way to use it ? Vnc ?

=85.?

>> Thanks ahead,
>> J=E1nos
>> P.S. The reason for the server install is that it is more powerful

than my MacBook.