Topic: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Replies: 27   Last Post: Dec 28, 2012 9:45 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N

On Dec 28, 1:12 am, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <a5a8214e-204a-49f4-8bbe-50b960b2c...@uc4g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
>

> > Now, Hancher, I'll accept that you're quite familiar with crazy
>
> With sterling examples of it like you and WM, and others, everyone who
> reads much of sci.math is.
> --

There are varieties of mathematicians, and they derive different
values from our study of the same principles. Some derive value from
the very closedness of things, that there are right and wrong answers
to our most fundamental questions. Some derive value from the very
openness of things, that there may be right and wrong answers to all
our questions. There are various motivations for its study and
application. Yet, it is largely so that given strong fundamental
principles, there are available general results, and mathematics is
for that those with totally different thinking, can share in truths,
given the principles of mathematics.

Clemens' law of conservation of truth: "For each Great Truth, there's
an equal and opposite Great Truth." Apollo: "Everything in
moderation, including moderation." There are a variety of fallacies,
ad hominem here, or your appeal to the righteousness of the mob, that
have as place in mathematics exhibits, not course.

monomania, check (determination, reliance on mathematical truth and
proof)
megalomania, check (belief in self)
paranoia, reasonable (typical unknowns, and there are many)
delusions, not so many (typical unknowns)
depressive, no just relaxed (yawn)
manic, from time to time (called high-energy, on-task, Olympian)
hypochondriac (not so much)
hyperchondria (not so much)
psychotic (meh)
sociopath, no
neurotic (not so much)

Now I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV (MCAT top), but in
terms of promoting the discovery of foundations of mathematics,
including but not limited to those that are are discovered and well-
covered, to me "different" doesn't mean "crazy", and here "infinite"
and "counter-intuitive" don't mean the same thing. And, you can find
someone who'll call you anything, and a quack who'll give you pills
for it, and maybe they know of the schoolyard ribbing of rubber, and
glue. You can trust anyone, to throw you in a ditch for a penny. And
some, you can trust.

For some mathematicians, mathematics is a diamond and a single flaw
would ruin the entire thing. For others, the existence of the flaw is
the only way to cleave the diamond and cut the diamond from its rough
aggregate to its perfect shape. So, when I throw light on the
diamond, it is to see the flaws, not ignore them.

Then, when it comes to spending enough time working on infinities in
mathematics, as one put it, "thinking about infinity makes people
nuts". I think that's not necessarily so, instead that there are
simply not so many people with the capacity and time to entertain the
notions of the infinite for its cerebral beauty, and the mathematics
of it for satisfaction of the mathematical conscience. Though, there
are confounding results, that then for the purposes of establishing
our rigor in mathematics, see requirements for limits in the
discussion, to then work up that limited subset of all what may be
true, to build a walled garden wherein all is true, consistent within
its walls. Then, I'm among those that would have that there is a
Universe, and there are mathematics of it, that tearing down the walls
is not to let in the darkness, but the light.

So, if you think you're surrounded by crazy people, you're probably
right. So, let us maintain decorum in our interminable discussions on
interminability, toward progress, as you and Muckenheim joust each
other keep in mind that if you're doctors of mathematics that a
certain collegial courtesy is apropos, as it is anyways, know that I
find myself quite in control of my faculties and don't so much care
what you find of yours or think of mine, and that EF is a compelling
construct that stands for its own and in the historical context,
particularly as a touchstone in the foundations. I'm for the
conscientious, and conscious, mathematician.

EF: it is what it is.
EF: CDF, p.d.f.

Infinity: topic of our greatest thinkers.
Ad hominem attacks: purview of the playground bully.

Take your ball and go home. Everybody's got one.

So, are you wading in a morass of incompetents, or, alternatively,
engaging in the highest levels of mathematical discourse?

Good luck with that.

Then, for your attempt to divert the course from mathematical
discussions, and there are hundreds of readers who comtemplate these
writings, we return to the notion of _what would be_ the drawing of
the line, _what would be_ the uniform distribution of the naturals
here in the continuous and discrete, _what would be_ progress in
mathematical foundations, and _what it is_.

EF: it is what it is.

What you think of EF: is what it is.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson

Date Subject Author
12/20/12
Read Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
FredJeffries@gmail.com
12/21/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Bill Taylor
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Porky Pig Jr
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/24/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
FredJeffries@gmail.com
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
David Bernier
12/22/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/24/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
FredJeffries@gmail.com
12/24/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/26/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
gus gassmann
12/26/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Butch Malahide
12/27/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/27/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Virgil
12/28/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/25/12
Read Re: Continuous and discrete uniform distributions of N
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/25/12