Topic: Probability Pill
Replies: 20   Last Post: Jan 31, 2013 7:23 PM

quasi

Re: Probability Pill

William Elliot wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>
>> But here's my guess as to how William got the problem ...
>>
>> A student, unaware of the origin of the problem, received

>Wrong. Don't know.
>

>> the problem as a HW problem (possibly a challenge problem
>
>Wrong.
>

>> for extra credit) and posted the problem in some forum,
>
>Wrong.
>

>> asking for a solution. William then posted the question
>> to sci.math, with no attribution as to his source.

>Correct.
>

>> If solutions had appeared in sci.math, William would
>> presumably have posted a solution back to the forum where

>Wrong.
>

>> he first saw the question. But in doing so, would William
>> have mentioned the source of his solution, giving credit

>Yes.

You're not known for giving thanks or credit even in sci.math
to questions you ask here, so it seems unlikely that you
would credit a sci.math source when bringing a sci.math
solution back to another forum.

Several times in the past, you've posted problems in sci.math
that were originally posted by someone else in
Ask-A-Topologist or in Ask-An-Algebraist, but in your
sci.math posting of the problem, you never mentioned either
the forum where the problem originated or the username
of the original poster. Only when I challenged you for
the source did you reveal it. Thus, a pattern emerges -- you
don't bother to credit the actual OP, rather you post their
problem as if it was your own.

>> to the solver? I wonder.
>
>Oh wonderful day.

When you posted the "Probability Pill" problem, it had the feel
of a known challenge problem or competition problem, but when I
asked you for the source of the problem, there was no response.
As far as I can see, with all your denials above, you still
haven't answered the question as to where you got the problem.

So I'll ask again -- where did you get the problem?

From another forum? If so, which forum and what was the
username of the original poster?

From a book? If so, which one?

From a website? If so, which one?

From a past or current math competition? If so, which one?

Could it be that you coined the problem out of thin air on
your own? That possibility is pretty much negated by the
fact that your statement of the problem is almost word for
word the same as the 1991 American Mathematical Monthly
problem.

So I'm calling you out on this.

How did you come up with the problem?

quasi