Topic: Probability Pill
Replies: 20   Last Post: Jan 31, 2013 7:23 PM

quasi

Re: Probability Pill

William Elliot wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>
>> I meant _your_ source, where _you_ got the problem, not the
>> actual source.

>Email, if makes any difference for this group

Fine, and in that case you could have introduced the problem
by saying something like ...

In a private email, I was asked the following question ...

... question ...

Of course you don't actually _have_ to reveal your source, but
by doing so, at least you dispel the false impression that the
problem is of your own creation.

On the other hand, if someone (such as myself) asks you for the
nature of your source, it don't see why you would choose to
withhold that information.

>currently suffering a derth of actual math problems.

The problem was a good one, but since I felt sure that it
wasn't a problem originated by you, I wanted to get some
idea of the source before committing potentially a lot of
time and energy towards an attempted solution.

Many of the questions you ask are valuable for the group, but
unless the question is of your own creation, I think that you
should give some indication of the nature of the source when
introducing the problem.

In any case, you finally responded to query about the source
of the problem, so thanks for that (although getting you to
reveal that information wasn't easy).

quasi