Topic: log normal?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 6:17 AM

Axel Vogt

Re: log normal?

On 27.12.2012 06:00, RichD wrote:
> Ocasionally I come across somethign called log
> normal, and I wonder, what is the purpose?
> The normal distribution is natural, but the log of that,
> seems unnatural, and unintuitive.
>
> Can anyone elaborate on its use?

Why not looking into Wikipedia or NIST first?

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda3669.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-normal_distribution#Occurrence

Roughly: when one wants to consider relative changes, where
relative is not done in percentage, but using logarithm.