Topic: Mathematics as discourse about form:
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 11:04 AM

Charlie-Boo

Re: Mathematics as discourse about form:

On Jan 1, 3:06 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <b6477fc7-91ab-4ee2-a972-4a77ed52b...@x20g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  Charlie-Boo <shymath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What is the difference between math and the other branches of science?
>
> For one thing, mathematics is not a 'branch' of science!
> For example, which theorems of mathematics does one ever "prove" by
> experimentation or by its conforming to physical evidence?
> --

If proof is your gauge, then math wins over physics and the other
physical sciences hands down. Non-math science can never prove its
conclusions. They are approximate and history shows there is always a
lower level that hasn't been considered yet - Newton was trumped by
Einstein and no physical experiment can be conducted without
interfering with the results you are attempting to measure.

What reasonable definition of science excludes mathematics? How do
you define science? I say, science is that which is predictable. And
that includes math.

C-B