Topic: Mathematics as discourse about form:
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 11:04 AM

Charlie-Boo

Re: Mathematics as discourse about form:

On Jan 1, 12:22 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 7:04 pm, Charlie-Boo <shymath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 1, 6:55 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Add a new primitive to the language of ZFC,
> > > this primitive is the binary relation "exemplifies" denoted by
> > > the infix dyadic symbol ~

> > > Define:
>
> > > R is a form defining relation iff
> > > R is an equivalence relation &
> > > For all x. ~x=0 -> For all s. Exist y. y R x & s in TC(y)

> > You are not giving the domains of symbols, nor using a consistent
> > syntax first ~x=0 is not dyadic

> The monadic logical symbol ~ stands for NEGATION, while the dyadic
> infix symbol ~ stands for 'exemplifies'
>
> then y ~ $ which is but uses multiple> punctuation characters in a row!?!?
>
> What multiple punctuation do you mean ~ and $, if that what you mean
> then it doesn't matter.
>

> > ?If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough?
> > - Albert Einstein

> > "A mathematical theory is not to be considered complete until you have
> > made it so clear that you can explain it to the first man whom you
> > meet on the street." - David Dilbert

> > What is the difference between math and the other branches of science?
>
> > C-B
>
> Math is not a branch of science.
> Math is about supplying discourse about form, it has nothing to do
> with the Truth of that discourse.

How can you say that when Logic is the essence of general methods of
discovering truth? In fact, only Logic provides truth. The values
TRUE and FALSE are not physical objects. They exist only in
mathematics and it is these values that we seek to determine truth.

You're just making up a bunch of silly terms and saying they define
math with no justification for believing that they define all of math
or that they don't define things outside of math.

You haven't delineated math from the rest of everything.

Math is simply the conclusions we make in our heads. Math is what we
can continue to do if we lose all 5 of our senses.

Can you name any branch of math for which this is not true?

Can you name something that meets this definition and is not math?

THAT is how you test out a definition - compare it to what you know
intuitively and that you want to agree with.

Hilbert and Einstein were right when they said that any theory well-
understood can be explained in simple terms. Those simple terms are
the highest level of abstraction of its principles.

You have only listed a few objects from arithmetic and geometry, claim
that they are included in your definition, make no references to
things outside of math being excluded, and no attempt to show it
defines all of math.

Just a silly display of words with no justification.

C-B