Topic: Mathematics as discourse about form:
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 11:04 AM

Charlie-Boo

Re: Mathematics as discourse about form:

On Jan 1, 6:55 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Add a new primitive to the language of ZFC,
> this primitive is the binary relation "exemplifies" denoted by
> the infix dyadic symbol ~

Zuhair, you are trying to define one nebulous term (mathematics) with
another nebulous term ("form"). In fact, "form" is so nebulous that
it doesn't even have a definition itself, so now you have to define
what IT is. That's not how definitions work.

You define something using familiar, well understood, accepted terms
and concepts. Then we immediately gain the wealth of knowledge of
firsthand experience using these terms and concepts. And personal
experience can even give meaning to something inherently
unfathomable. What does it mean to think? That is fairly nebulous.
But since we all do it most of the time, we can accept references to
"thinking".

That is why I keep pointing out that you have not established the
essential properties of your system - that it defines exactly math, no
more, no less: there is no intuitive meaning to your terms because you
are coining them as you go along. You even use odd syntax where $
appears in an expression next to other punctuation characters.

Both Hilbert and Einstein tell us any theory can be explained in
simple terms if we understand it enough. That is because
understanding means to equate something with our past experiences
which we know so well and are so comfortable with. Not introducing
another undefined term. Undefined term Math = = Undefined term Form =
= ???

C-B