Replies: 83   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 12:58 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 3 Jan., 13:23, gus gassmann <g...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 5:31 AM, Zuhair wrote:
>

> > Call it what may you, what is there is:
> > (1) ALL reals are distinguishable on finite basis

>  > (2) Distinguishability on finite basis is COUNTABLE.
>
> What does this mean? If you have two _different_ reals r1 and r2, then
> you can establish this fact in finite time. The set of reals that are
> describable by finite strings over a finite character set is countable.
> However, not all reals have that property.

Perhaps not all, but all that can be distinguished in a Cantor list.

> > So we conclude that:
>
> > "The number of all reals distinguishable on finite basis must be
> > countable".

> > Since ALL reals are distinguishable on finite basis, then:
>
> You seem to use "distinguishable" in two different ways.

But you don't dare to say what these differences are.

> Seeing your argument reminds me of the old chestnut about cats: A cat
> has three tails. Proof: No cat has two tails. A cat has one tail more
> than no cat. QED.

Unfortunately this joke has nothing to do with the question whether
cats exist or whether matheologians can be intelligent.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Zaljohar@gmail.com
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de