Replies: 83   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 12:58 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 3 Jan., 14:52, gus gassmann <g...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Exactly. This is precisely what I wrote. IF you have TWO *DIFFERENT*
> reals r1 and r2, then you can establish this fact in finite time.
> However, if you are given two different descriptions of the *SAME* real,
> you will have problems. How do you find out that NOT exist n... in
> finite time?

Does that in any respect increase the number of real numbers? And if
not, why do you mention it here?

> Moreover, being able to distinguish two reals at a time has nothing at
> all to do with the question of how many there are, or how to distinguish
> more than two. Your (2) uses a _different_ concept of distinguishability.-

Being able to distinguish a real from all other reals is crucial for
Cantor's argument. "Suppose you have a list of all real numbers ..."
How could you falsify this statement if not by creating a real number
that differs observably and provably from all entries of this list?

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Zaljohar@gmail.com
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de