Topic: Simulink vectorization illogicality
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 29, 1996 8:59 PM

Rick Spada

Re: Simulink vectorization illogicality

[Posted and mailed]

In article <320F2517.5823@erols.com>,
Ken Davis <kendavis@erols.com> writes:
> Matt Feinstein wrote:
>>
>> Hi all--
>>
>> How come Simulink lets you vectorize the inputs and outputs for a
>> linear state-space block or an integrator block but can't do the same
>> for a linear transfer function block? This doesn't seem logical. Am
>> I missing something here?
>>
>> Matt Feinstein
>> mfein@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

> For the same reason that their "filter" function can't filter multiple
> time-series simultaneously. I've never understood why this is so. It
> would be a relatively simple modification to the code to add an extra
> loop, it would require no change to the calling sequence, and it would
> add immensly to the functionality. Maybe in the next version...

The largest side effect to vectorizing the transfer function or filter blocks
is that SIMULINK would require an additional set of discrete or continuous
states for each additional input element. BTW, it's actually a bit tricker to
do than you realize.

I'll answer some obvious questions:

Are we doing this for SIMULINK 2? No.

Did we consider doing this for SIMULINK 2? Yes.

How come you didn't implement this for SIMULINK 2? We really haven't
received a lot of requests for this functionality. I am certain that these
blocks will be vectorized in the future, perhaps 2.1.

When will SIMULINK 2 be available? Don't know.

-- Rick

__ Rick Spada _______________________ ricks@mathworks.com __
The MathWorks, Inc. info@mathworks.com
24 Prime Park Way http://www.mathworks.com