Replies: 83   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 12:58 AM

gus gassmann

On 03/01/2013 5:53 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article
> <a60601d5-24a2-4501-a28b-84a7b1e53bac@ci3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
> WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>

>> On 3 Jan., 14:52, gus gassmann <g...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Exactly. This is precisely what I wrote. IF you have TWO *DIFFERENT*
>>> reals r1 and r2, then you can establish this fact in finite time.
>>> However, if you are given two different descriptions of the *SAME* real,
>>> you will have problems. How do you find out that NOT exist n... in
>>> finite time?

>> Does that in any respect increase the number of real numbers? And if
>> not, why do you mention it here?

> It shows that WM considerably oversimplifies the issue of
> distinguishing between different reals, or even different names for the
> same reals.

>>> Moreover, being able to distinguish two reals at a time has nothing at
>>> all to do with the question of how many there are, or how to distinguish
>>> more than two. Your (2) uses a _different_ concept of distinguishability.-

>> Being able to distinguish a real from all other reals is crucial for
>> Cantor's argument. "Suppose you have a list of all real numbers ..."
>> How could you falsify this statement if not by creating a real number
>> that differs observably and provably from all entries of this list?

> Actually, all that is needed in the diagonal argument is the ability
> distinguish one real from another real, one pair of reals at a time.

Exactly. The only reals that matter to Cantor's argument are the
*countably* many that are assumed to have been written down. There is no
need (nor indeed an effective way) to distinguish the constructed
diagonal from *all* the potential numbers that could have been
constructed that are not on the list, either. Any *one* number not on
the list shows that the list is incomplete and thus establishes the
uncountability of the reals.

Date Subject Author
Zaljohar@gmail.com
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de