Topic: textscan: handling spaces in fixed-width data
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:36 AM

dpb

Re: textscan: handling spaces in fixed-width data

On 1/3/2013 9:08 AM, dpb wrote:

> If you're comfortable w/ Fortran, in the past I've written mex-files
> that use Fortran FORMAT statements to deal w/ the problem is another
> workaround.

OBTW---in this case you would still have to have some extra processing
to get the "empty" indicator over the default zero returned from the
character substitution route shown earlier since Fortran returns 0 for a
blank field.

So, in this particular case, there's no great advantage in the Fortran
mex route but can be a big help in some cases to have a fixed-width
field format string really mean fixed width per FORMAT definitions.