Topic: Another count sort that certainly must exist, it do not have any
restrictions upon size of (S number of possibilities)

Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 8, 2013 1:37 AM

JT

Re: Another count sort that certainly must exist, it do not have any

On 4 Jan, 15:46, JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember doing this in a tentamen during my education in information
> theory beleiving what i did was binary sort but my teacher informed me
> it wasn't so what is it.
> By creating a Pascal pointer binary tree with each leaf holding a
> integer, you move the binary numbers to the tree from least digit to
> highest using left legs for 0's and right for 1's. (Basicly creating
> leaves for new numbers, and at last digit you add 1 to the leaf slot.
> So after you moved all values into the tree and created all the nodes,
> you simply read out  all the none zero values holded into the slot of
> the leaves within the binary tree.
>
> What is this sort called?
> Of course you cannot have more leaves then memory, but this does not
> need to hold memory for slots never used like the array slots, it is
> therefore my beleif that this sort could be useful also for database
> purposes sorting basicly anything. What do you think?

Unfortunatly i do not have any language with point support installed
is it only Pascal and C supporting pointer types, or could you do this
in Python. Because it would be interesting to try it.

Date Subject Author
1/4/13
Read Another count sort that certainly must exist, it do not have any
restrictions upon size of (S number of possibilities)
JT
1/4/13
Read Re: Another count sort that certainly must exist, it do not have any
restrictions upon size of (S number of possibilities)
JT
1/4/13
Read Re: Another count sort that certainly must exist, it do not have any
restrictions upon size of (S number of possibilities)
JT
1/4/13
Read Re: Another count sort that certainly must exist, it do not have
any restrictions upon size of (S number of possibilities)
David Bernier
[...]
1/8/13
Read Re: Another count sort that certainly must exist, it do not have any
restrictions upon size of (S number of possibilities)
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13