Topic: Regents exam names
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jan 11, 2013 2:03 PM

Peggy Niforos

RE: Regents exam names
att1.html (7.4 K)

Cathy and everyone else,

The reason you might be confused about PARCC is that there are TWO components to PARCC and people aren't differenciating them. NYS (according to what John Svensen said at AMTNYS) is most likely adopting the PARCC FRAMEWORKS - which is the course curriculum for all three courses. And yes - Geometry is definitely being implemented in 2013-14 (like Algebra)

The second part of PARCC is the testing portion - and NYS has made NO determination about this so far.

So, in conclusion, when people refer to PARCC they should be adding the term "framework" or "testing" after it in order to be clear about what they are talking about. And secondly - I highly recommend going to the PARCC website looking at the framework for what is most likely the curriculum for the courses if you are doing any work on curriculum for next year.

Algebra 1: http://www.parcconline.org/sites/parcc/files/PARCCMCFMathematicsAlgI_Nov2012V3_FINAL.pdf
Geometry: http://www.parcconline.org/sites/parcc/files/PARCCMCFMathematicsGeo_Nov2012V3_FINAL.pdf
Algebra 2: http://www.parcconline.org/sites/parcc/files/PARCCMCFMathematicsAlgII_Nov2012V3_FINAL.pdf
Core Curriculum: http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_Math%20Standards.pdf [HS is on pages 57-87]

I hope this helps
Peggy

To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: Regents exam names
From: CHaynes@cattlv.wnyric.org
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 08:55:18 -0500

I have also heard that they are not definitely
based on the PARCC assessments. Has anyone heard otherwise?

My concern is that I still don't know
exactly what topics are covered when..... I asked this earlier through
this forum and I was referred to the PARCC information, but now I believe
that NYS hasn't decided to use PARCC.

I am soooooo confused.

Cathy Haynes

Algebra Teacher

Class of 2015 Advisor

Cattaraugus Little Valley Central School

25 N Franklin Street

Cattaraugus, NY 14719

phone: (716) 257-3483 ext. 1135

In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

Johann von Neumann

US (Hungarian-born) computer scientist, mathematician (1903 - 1957)

From:
Dianne Gizowski <GizowskD@dcmoboces.com>

To:
"'nyshsmath@mathforum.org'"
<nyshsmath@mathforum.org>

Date:
01/04/2013 08:27 AM

RE: Regents
exam names

Sent by:
owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org

You are correct Evan, the
Algebra and Geometry exams both change next year (13-14). I haven?t heard
anything about the names of them.

Dianne