Topic: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jan 6, 2013 2:43 PM

fom

Re: Uncountably Nested Intervals

On 1/4/2013 10:52 AM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Jan 3, 9:32 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
>> In article
>> <b0302dd5-6a04-4af0-9ae4-690cffd26...@pd8g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,

>>> That example contains zero, a rational, no?
>>
>> No! For z between 0 and 1/2, no interval from x to 1-x will contain 0.
>>

>>> What, that is news? Once again your plain arguments against the man
>>> instead of for the argument show your lack of argumentative ability,
>>> and responsibility, and poor form.

>> Since my ARGUMENT was entirely a mathematical example refuting your own
>> mathematical claim, it is ad mathematics not ad hominem.
>>
>> Though I did enjoy being able to show your mathematics to be totally
>> wrong!
>>

>>> But, for me to note that, is it ad
>>> hominem, to note ad hominem?

>> It is certainly an ad hominem to claim it when it did not exist, as you
>> did.
>>

>>> See, for that I would refrain: because
>>> it's less than perfectly ethical to argue ad hominem.

>> Particularly when you are in the wrong and trying to cover your ass.
>>

>>> Also quit
>>> bullying me, I'm bigger than you. A suitable change of topic for the
>>> thread, to respect the time of readers, is more along the lines of
>>> "Uncountably Nested Intervals".

>>> Uncountably many nested intervals, each pairwise disjoint contains two
>>> rationals, or rather as nested their disjoint contains a rational.

>> "Uncountably many nested intervals, each pairwise disjoint"?
>>
>> Nested intervals are not pairwise disjoint, at least in any real world.
>>

>>> The rationals are dense in the reals. Deal with it.
>>
>> What misleads Ross onto thinking I don't already?
>>
>> Re the original issue:
>>
>> There are countably infinite sequences of nested intervals with rational
>> endpoints. For example { (-1/n,1/n) : n in |N }, but obviously no
>> uncountable nested set of such sequences.
>>
>> Ross then claimed that there could not be any uncountable set of nested
>> intervals with irrational endpoints, which is trivially false:
>> { (-x, x) : x is a positive irrational} is just such an uncountable but
>> nested set of intervals with irrational endpoints as Ross had claimed
>> did not exist.
>>
>> So Ross was wrong, and too chicken to own up.
>> --

> No, what I said was there are and aren't. I simply constructed
> examples where there are and examples where there could not be.
> That's a poor and ungenerous representation. Your argument is simply
> fallacious, where generally your mathematical content can be replaced
> with a text reader. You should speak well of yourself, I don't care
> if you do or don't. Obviously enough I was thinking of the
> irrationals in [-1/2, 1/2] containing zero.
>
> Here, the conundrum is that in ZFC there are uncountably many
> irrationals, that there be uncountably many disjoint intervals, that
> each contains a rational, which are countable in ZFC, which would be a
> contradiction.

ZFC does not say anything about the topology of the
real line.

There are better topologists out here than I. But, while
the reals are not compact, they are sigma compact. Or, if
I have that wrong, they have whatever compactness condition
is required so that the second-countability of the space
applies to your example.

The identity criterion in set theory is not the identity
criterion of the real numbers. The latter come from the
topological completeness by which is meant completeness
relative to the rationals. Thus, trichotomy of the
rationals yields trichotomy in the reals. Hence, the
reals have an identity criterion based on their order
relation

x=y <-> (x<=y /\ x>=y)

If you want to think about how the identity criterion
of a logical system like ZFC is related to topology
look at the difference between the axioms of a metric
and a pseudometric. For one you have,

x=y<->d(x,y)=0

and for the other you have

x=y->d(x,y)=0

The latter statement is what is involved with attaching
metric structure (and, therefore, a metric based
topology) to a logical system.

The next step is to look at uniform spaces defined
relative to uniformities. That will give the first
conditions for a system of relations to have
a topology that may be metrizable.

Finally, find a proof for the metrization of relations
so that you can see what is involved with attaching a
pseudometric to a logical system. You can find one
in Kelley's "General Topology".

Curiously, it is circular when speaking to the
metrization of the reals. It invokes the least
upper bound property. Still, it is instructive.

Date Subject Author
12/30/12
Read Uncountable Diagonal Problem
William Elliot
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Butch Malahide
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/1/13
[...]
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem: Ross is WRONG, again!
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountably Nested Intervals
ross.finlayson@gmail.com