Topic: Fast Fourier Transforms
Replies: 2   Last Post: Sep 17, 1996 10:41 AM

Djamil Boulahbal

Re: Fast Fourier Transforms

In article <01bba023$534ee700$010200c0@faris.ecn.purdue.edu>,
"Joseph H. Sullivan" <jsulliva@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
>I was wondering if anybody could explain how to transform the Matlab FFT
>response into readable cos and/or sin fourier coefficients. Can it be
>done?
>As an example, say I feed it an array of data representing a combination of
>
>step functions over a period of 2pi that look like a cosine. Can I apply
>the FFT
>to that array and derive the first harmonic coefficient?

The REAL part of the FFT is the "COSINE" transform whereas the
IMAGINARY part corresponds to the "SINE" coefficients.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Djamil Boulahbal
Mechanical Engineering - E2
University of Waterloo