Replies: 83   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 12:58 AM

Virgil

In article
<2466aecd-5309-4468-b90d-3da7727466f7@f19g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 4 Jan., 13:36, gus gassmann <g...@nospam.com> wrote:
> > On 03/01/2013 5:53 PM, Virgil wrote:
> >

> > > In article
> > > <a60601d5-24a2-4501-a28b-84a7b1e53...@ci3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,

> > > It shows that WM considerably  oversimplifies the issue of
> > > distinguishing between different reals, or even different names for the
> > > same reals.

> > > Actually, all that is needed in  the diagonal argument is the ability
> > > distinguish one real from another real, one pair of reals at a time.

> > Exactly. The only reals that matter to Cantor's argument are the
> > *countably* many that are assumed to have been written down. There is no
> > need (nor indeed an effective way) to distinguish the constructed
> > diagonal from *all* the potential numbers that could have been
> > constructed that are not on the list, either.

> Therefore they cannot interfere with Cantor's argument and cannot
> result from his procedure.

According to standard mathematics, a set is "countable" if and only if
there is surjection from N to that set. And until WM can produce such a
surjection, none of his claims that the reals are countable count.

> > Any *one* number not on
> > the list shows that the list is incomplete and thus establishes the
> > uncountability of the reals

> No, it establishes the incompleteness of infinity or the infinity of
> incompleteness.

And until WM can produce a surjection from N to R, none of his claims
that the reals are countable show that the definition of countability is
met.

> Cantor's list establishes the uncountability of distinguishable and
> hence constructable reals. Why should nonconstructable and hence
> nondistinguishable reals matter in Cantor's argument?

Until WM can produce a surjection from N to R, none of his claims that
the reals are countable show that the definition of countability can be
met.

> Cantor proves the uncountability of a countable set. For some people
> that has an effect like a drug.

And until WM has produced a surjection from N to R, he is just blowing
hot air.
--

Date Subject Author
Zaljohar@gmail.com