Replies: 83   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 12:58 AM

fom

On 1/5/2013 5:41 AM, WM wrote:

>>> There is no other criterion.
>>
>> In logic, discernibility is taken to be with
>> respect to properties.

> Can't a number be considered to be a property?

Usually logicians try to keep grammatical properties
separate from "material" properties. Analysis of
the paradoxes led to the use of formalized languages,
in part, to prevent some self-reference attributable
to the ability of natural languages to intermingle
such references. So, I did not consider the property
of the names in my response. On the other hand, it
is in the canonicity of a given system of names that
reflects their use as unique identifiers. But, at
least where Leibniz identity of indiscernibles may
be in play, the non-grammatical properties should
be justifying the grammatical distinctions.

>> Your position seems to be that since the names determine
>> the model which, in turn, determines the truth, then the
>> names are the only criterion.

> The model determines the truth if the rules which have to be obeyed by
> the names are taken from observation of reality.

Reality is subjective.

One of the goals of science is a version of truth
that may be considered objective. What if a
completed infinity is a necessary consequence of
the objectivity of science?

Date Subject Author
Zaljohar@gmail.com
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de