Topic: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jan 8, 2013 10:21 PM

David Bernier

Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.

On 01/05/2013 10:22 AM, JT wrote:
> I do intend to implement this one, i think it will beat any other
> algorithm for any amount of elements *and element size* when sorting
> above 2000-3000 elements. I can not guarantee it will not be faster at
> smaller amount of data too...
>
> By creating a pointer binary tree with each leaf holding a
> integer, you move the binary numbers to the tree from least digit to
> highest using left legs for 0's and right for 1's. (Basicly creating
> leaves for new numbers, and at last digit you add 1 to the leaf
> slot.
> So after you moved all values into the tree and created all the
> nodes,
> you simply read out all the none zero values holded into the slot
> of
> the leaves within the binary tree.
>
> Now to the problem and solution, using a tree reading in the values,
> they will not be read in from lowest to highest because the legs will
> differ in length and they will be unordered in the tree. The solution
> to the problem we create a single leg (heap) ***for each digit***, so
> numbers with digit 9,10,11.... digits and so on run in their own legs.
> Our binary tree will be sorted as we read in the values and we just
> need to read it out from left to right. This is probably within the
> first courses of information theory, so the question is why have this
> not been applied to sorting problems before?
>
> Can anyone estimate the time complexity of this algorithm, and it seem
> to be a general purpose algorithm, the biggest challenge will be to
> find a programming language that have dynamic memory for data
> structures of binary tree type.
>
> Is this also a radix type of sorting?

Hi,

I don't fully understand your problem statement. The legs are probably
what in English are called branches of the tree.

In a course on file system structures, we studied AVL trees,
which I think are useful in huge databases, for faster access
by "key number", for example social security number, employee number,
membership number, etc.

On Wikipedia, AVL trees (& References at the end of the article).

< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVL_tree > .

David Bernier

Date Subject Author
1/5/13
Read Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
Scott Berg
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/6/13
[...]
1/7/13
[...]
1/8/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/6/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
UpChunky
1/6/13