Topic: Off Topic Physics/math question
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 5, 2013 12:35 PM

Scott Berg

Re: Off Topic Physics/math question

<wrschlanger@gmail.com> wrote in message
> ---
> If y(x) = 1 / x
> then y(x) > 0 when x > 0 and y(x) < 0 when x < 0.
>
> According to the power rule of Calculus, y'(x) = -1 / x^2.
> So y'(x) is always negative.
>
> Are we losing information by taking the derivative?

what do you mean, "losing information" ? If you take the integral of a
derivative you need to add a constant C for a particular case, everyone
alrady knows that.

> Here is where the physics comes in.
>
> Let E(x, y, z) be "electric electric field" (a vector).
>
> Let Ex be the x component of E, etc. We will have a charge of "q"
> at the origin and compute the electric field at an arbitrary point
> due to it.
>
> Then
> Ex = k q x / |x|^3

what dose that mean ? Esubx = k * q * (x /( |x|^3)) ??

> Ey = k q y / |x|^3
> Ez = k q z / |x|^3
>
> I am told that there is this thing called electric potential energy,
> but I am having mathematical trouble figuring out how it relates to
> the electric field E.

this is an electrical engineering question

> Let electric potential p(x,y,z) be defined such that
> E = -grad p

grad p ?? do you mean grad( p ) ??

> It looks to me like we're in trouble now.
> For according to
> Ex = k q x / |x|^3
>
> Ex is positive when x > 0 and negative when Ex is < 0. This makes
> sense, since a positive charge to the right of our origin (where we
> have placed a charge of +q) will want to go right, in the +x direction,
> whereas a detector charge placed to the left of our origin will want to
> go left, i.e. Ex < 0 if x < 0 and Ex > 0 if x > 0.
>
> I'm told the formula for p is
> p = k q / r

p = (k * q) / r ??

> We should then have E = -grad p.
>
> I think the place I make a mistake is in my understanding of how r relates
> to x.
> If everything is oriented along the x axis, aren't they the same? Or do we
> have
> r = |x| ?

no, r is vector in x,y,z