Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 5, 2013 10:30 PM

On 5 Jan., 17:47, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 1/5/2013 6:56 AM, WM wrote:

> > Nonsense. A real number need not be given by a string of digits. In
> > most cases that is even impossible. Given is a finite definition like
> > "pi". And this is distinct from all other real numbers.

> "pi" is certainly a finite string used as a name.

But it allows to calculate a potentially infinite string. i.e., a
finite string with more than any given number of digits.
> Please offer a (Russellian) description that attaches it
> to an idea of number.
> And, since you make provability an issue in these matters,
> please show that your description is uniquely distinguishing
> pi from other numbers.

I show it by what you think when reading my pi.
Mathematics is discourse, sending and receiving messages. And I am
sure that you would determine the same sequence of digits as I, if we
used an appropriate formalism, for instance the slowly converging

Regards, WM