Topic: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jan 8, 2013 10:21 PM

Scott Berg

Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.

"JT" <jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote in message
On 5 Jan, 18:39, forbisga...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3074861/binary-sort-algorithmi
>
> Algorithmi? That's sorta correct. it points to:
>
> http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus5/html/page487.html
>
> It says:
> Whereas a linear search requires O(n) comparisons in the worst case, a
> binary search only requires comparisons
>
> and gives this caveat:
> The number of comparisons required by the straight insertion sort is in
> the worst case as well as on average. Therefore on average, the binary
> insertion sort uses fewer comparisons than straight insertion sort. On the
> other hand, the previous section shows that in the best case the running
> time for straight insertion is O(n). Since the binary insertion sort
> method always does the binary search, its best case running time is .
> Table summarizes the asymptotic running times for the two insertion sorts.
>
> (sorry that didn't all copy. quicksort is probably better in most cases.)
>I am not sure if you looked at my countsort algorithm using arrays, it
>is further down in sci.math. But my algorithms do not compare anything
>it just read in the values in an ordered fashion,

<snip> So, someone has already put it in order for you. Trivial.

your algorithm cannot sort if it fails to compare.

Date Subject Author
1/5/13
Read Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
David Bernier
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
Scott Berg
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/6/13
[...]
1/7/13
[...]
1/8/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/6/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
UpChunky
1/6/13