Topic: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jan 8, 2013 10:21 PM

JT

Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.

On 6 Jan, 02:51, "fasnsto" <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:
> "JT" <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 5 Jan, 18:39, forbisga...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3074861/binary-sort-algorithmi
>
> > Algorithmi? That's sorta correct. it points to:
>
> >http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus5/html/page487.html
>
> > It says:
> > Whereas a linear search requires O(n) comparisons in the worst case, a
> > binary search only requires comparisons

> > and gives this caveat:
> > The number of comparisons required by the straight insertion sort is in
> > the worst case as well as on average. Therefore on average, the binary
> > insertion sort uses fewer comparisons than straight insertion sort. On the
> > other hand, the previous section shows that in the best case the running
> > time for straight insertion is O(n). Since the binary insertion sort
> > method always does the binary search, its best case running time is .
> > Table summarizes the asymptotic running times for the two insertion sorts.

> > (sorry that didn't all copy. quicksort is probably better in most cases.)
> >I am not sure if you looked at my countsort algorithm using arrays, it
> >is further down in sci.math. But my algorithms do not compare anything
> >it just read in the values in an ordered fashion,

> <snip>  So, someone has already put it in order for you. Trivial.
>
> your algorithm cannot sort if it fails to compare.

You do not know much about recursiv algorithms do you.

Date Subject Author
1/5/13
Read Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
David Bernier
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
Scott Berg
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/6/13
[...]
1/7/13
[...]
1/8/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/5/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
JT
1/6/13
Read Re: Just finished the fastest ever, general purpose sorting algorithm.
UpChunky
1/6/13