Topic: matrix multiplication with zero dimensions
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:20 AM

Bruno Luong

Re: matrix multiplication with zero dimensions

"Matt J" wrote in message <kcebci$l59$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> But I meant also that sum([])=0 and prod([])=1 should be documented somewhere as well. Maybe I just haven't found it yet, though.

For an abelian's group, the sum/product (operator that operates on the group) of an empty set is always the *unity element* of the group.

http://pine.cs.yale.edu/pinewiki/SummationNotation (see "3. products").

Bruno