Topic: The Great Purge of Literature
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 10:46 PM

Anna Roys

Re: The Great Purge of Literature
att1.html (4.6 K)

Hi!

I do mourn the loss of the focus on classical literature with the Common
Core Standards impacting students nationwide. I think classical
literature helps to change students thinking dispositions when they read,
analyze and think deeply about it - growing better thinkers is important.

I am thankful to be employed at a public charter school where I as a
teacher, I can select my own curriculum and literature under state charter
school laws. Yes, when our district and state adopts the Common Core
Standards, then we have to meet or exceed them. However, as a charter
school we can select literature to help students exceed the Common Core
Standards and are not forced to stay with the Common Core literature lists.

I do understand the "why" on the informational text focus, as I see many
students that are seriously struggling in some STEM courses because the
cannot read and understand the subject matter very well, when delivered
in text only form.

I also think it is unfair that under No Child Left Behind assessments for
reading and writing make up 2/3 of the content knowledge being assessed,
yet we as English teachers, only have one hour per day with students to
accomplish this, whereas, Math usually gets the same time per week and
only represents 1/3 of the assessed content under NCLB.

I am still lurking around this list, reading and not posting because I
seriously do not have the time to allot to it.

Happy New Year - maybe I will have more time in this new year to share my
thoughts and questions about what is written on this list. Thank you for
sharing.

Be well... Anna