Topic: ZFC really really really sucks -- really!
Replies: 20   Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 6:30 AM

David Petry

Re: Petry really really really sucks -- really!

On Monday, January 7, 2013 6:49:29 AM UTC-8, Robin wrote:
> On 07/01/2013 13:50, david petry ranted:
>

> > The notion of falsifiability, which is the cornerstone of science,
>
> > can be formalized in such a way that it can be made the cornerstone
>
> > of mathematics, and it is eminently reasonable to do so; if we don't
>
> > accept falsifiability as part of the underlying logic of our
>
> > mathematics,
>

> Falsifiability, in the guise of reductio ad absurdum
>
> *is* a principle of mathematics.

When in doubt, use Wikipedia.

> As no contradiction
>
> in ZFC has been found, we can continue to work within it

Certainly you can continue to play the game of ZFC.

> > then our mathematics is deficient as a language for
>
> > science.
>

> It is not the purpose of mathematics to be a "logic for science".

Really? Give me a clue here. What *serious* purpose does mathematics have other than to serve as a formalization of our understanding of quantitative reasoning.

> > ZFC is crackpot mathematics.
>

> Please provide a contradiction in ZFC, or else hold your peace.

Platonism is not a universally accepted principle.