Topic: FWIW: interesting quote from Ted Kaczynski
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 8, 2013 1:09 AM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: FWIW: interesting quote from Ted Kaczynski

david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

> "Meanwhile, I was doing well in mathematics. It was fun to solve
> mathematical problems, but in a deeper sense mathematics was boring
> and empty because for me it had no purpose. If I had worked on applied
> mathematics I would have contributed to the development of the
> technological society that I hated, so I worked only on pure
> mathematics. But pure mathematics was only a game. I did not
> understand then, and I still do not understand, why mathematicians are
> content to fritter away their whole lives in a mere game. I myself was
> completely dissatisfied with such a life."
>
> Ted Kaczynski, from a letter to a Turkish anarchist named Kara

Well, to each his own, right? Up to the point, of course, that they
start mailing bombs to others.

--
"Do you know why I'm tall?" "Why?"
"Because I eat apples." "Do you know why I'm short?"